Met an eighteen-year-old and a ninety-four-year-old yesterday who co-incidentally asked me the same question within an hour of one another: Why should I vote for you? Two decades trying to represent the place and you’d think I’d have the answer down pat. Even though it’s rare that people are that direct, that’s what it all comes down to. What I said was:
- East Lothian is unique—it’s not like other places and it’s certainly much more than Edinburgh’s dormitory backwater
- Unlike other candidates, I don’t just live here, I’m from here; I understand it.
- Twelve years as a local councillor & three years as Council Leader give me—uniquely—the in-depth experience of delivering what we need
- My track record of success was built on a combination of speaking straight, knowing the business and working with people to get thing done
- It’s time I took that to Holyrood because we need our own champion there.